[pianotech] Unsubscribe

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Sun Jan 1 13:38:34 MST 2012

Al, Laura,

I am once again reminded of the limitations of electronic
communications.  My intent was to lighten the mood, if not to be
directly sarcastic.

Lar, others,

Since I've forced my own hand, my objections to the new system include:

  - First - For me, this is a philosophical/pedagogical issue; and
not a political one.  If the real intent of the guild is to promote
the status of the rpt, provide instruction, develop testing, execute
and evaluate such testing, provide credentialing, etc, and promote
the status of the rpt (repetition intentional), then, it seems to me
that providing the simplest, easiest, most inclusive and user
friendly ways in which to accomplish those goals sets the expectation
for what kinds of tools are used.  That kind of position takes into
account the fact that not all members of the ptg are rpts.  More
important for some of the other implicit goals of the organization,
non-members have the opportunity to learn more about the actual
activities involved in the profession, and such information might
inform their decision as to whether or not to pursue membership or
not.  Further, as David Love has pointed out (and others have
implied), some subscribers are international.  If the list is limited
to ptg members only, those folks are automagically disenfranchised
and lose access to an important source of technical information.

  - Second, and closely related to the above - The "old"
mailman/whatever EM list format makes, by the way in which it works,
a _relatively_ "safe" space for "newbies" to ask questions.  Only
FWIW, I am active on a number of lists related to various
professional groups, including several very high-level IT-related
groups, all of whom have "Non-Disclosure Agreements" required for
participation.  All of these lists could be using a "forum" type
format.  None of them have opted to do so for the specific reason
that there is an explicit (as well as implicit) understanding that
not all subscribers are at the similar levels of knowledge,
experience or expertise.  In those settings, it is not at all unusual
for the "newbie" to ask precisely the right question in the right way
to bring light to some problem or other that has puzzled "older and
wiser" heads.

  - Third (note the position) - The "forum" interface was originally
developed for the specific purpose of developing "knowledgebases"
from which people (who did not necessarily understand anything about
the subject matter) could develop "decision trees" which would, in
turn, allow people (who didn't necessarily know anything about
whatever technology was providing the underlying knowledge/question
base, and who also often did not have English as a primary language)
to provide what amounted to "tab A - slot B" answers to limited sets
of questions before passing a caller off to someone higher up the
food chain who had access to a deeper level of the "knowledge base",
and/or had technical competency, and/or could write proper
SQL/related queries so that some kind of "answer" (often unrelated to
the original question) could be provided and the contract for timely
response be fulfilled.  Note that none of this has anything to do
with discussing much of anything.  It's largely a one-way
communication which allows the end-user only highly limited and/or
complicated access to the broader range of knowledge and/or
documentation stored in the "knowledge base".  Put more colloquially,
it's rather like earning a Ph.D. - One learns more and more about
less and less until one knows everything about nothing.

That said, there are some important discussions going on within a
number of the sub-groups on the forums.  The problems with accessing
each and every one of them have already been hashed through here, so
I won't reiterate them.  And, it's important to note that at least
one other piano-related technical forum (the one on Piano World)
seems to work reasonably well.

My point here is that, if the purpose of the ptg (and its related
media-facing focii) is to reach out to the broadest possible audience
in order to promote the profession (overall), then I respectfully
suggest that use of a forum is a counterproductive misapplication of
technology.  The simple, old-fashioned EM list allows for
"discussions" to take place; and, yes, sometimes things get really
off-topic...and...maybe...having forums available for specific topics
does make sense.  At the same time, it's just as easy to change the
subject line or to institute a new thread.

  - Fourth - From a purely external (but reasonably technically
informed) standpoint, this transition has all the earmarks of an IT
migration that went off the rails early in its history and has not
yet been corrected.  I suspect that whoever the SEs for Higher Logic
were, they did not sufficiently investigate the overall business
needs, desires, requirements & etc of their client.  From the guild
side, whoever was in charge did not sufficiently investigate whatever
solution providers might be in the market to see what different
offerings were available.  In short, far too much miscommunication,
far too early in the process, resulting in an inadequately "scoped"
project...which either means constant "change orders" (hoping for
improvement), or, as Ryan appropriately (if inflammatorily)
suggested, simply scrapping the whole thing...using it as a learning
step...and moving forward.  I suspect that the server(s?) used are
virtualized and/or shared with other HL clients.  That would account,
in part, for the variable response time in posting.  The variable
time in authenticating to the system suggests an ODBC connection
problem between the my.ptg.org site and the membership DB which, I
suspect, is housed on the main ptg site.  These are merely technical
issues which should be easily resolvable.  More troubling is the
clunky, dated, ill-documented interface...which itself requires
accessing yet another forum to get any information...feh...bad
design, folks.  I couldn't care less about the technical stuff,
because it will ultimately resolve itself.

(Nearly) Finally - I want to be clear that the only dog I have in
this fight has to do with keeping the list open to all comers.  The
problem is the loss of subscribers, some of whom have made truly
substantive contributions to the improvement and betterment of the
profession over long periods of time; and the loss of a place in
which people of different skill levels can have someplace in which to
actively or passively learn more than they otherwise could.  For
those who would limit subscription to ptg members only, just be aware
that, long term, such a move would be a losing hand for the organization.

Duaine,

About my valedictory "Cheers!".  I'll stick with things like
that.  While I do not necessarily agree with everything that's posted
on the list, I'm also immediately aware that we are all individuals,
each of whom, regardless of anything else, have our own humanity;
and, it is that commonality which I continue to choose, however
inadequately, to celebrate.  I may not agree with decisions the
current board has made, but I do accept that they are working to do
their best; and am willing to give them some space.  At the end of
the day, there may be a new board soon; and that board may make
different decisions...with which I may also disagree...though, I'll
try to be more careful when poking at things...EM really is a pretty
poor medium of communication.

Besides, not only is it Sunday, it's the first day of a new
year.  Perhaps we'll all find 2012 to be more charitable to us than 2011 was.

Kind regards to all,

Horace