[pianotech] Verituner

David Renaud drjazzca at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 16:42:58 MST 2012

I have long enjoyed Tunelab, and shall continue to.
As an aural tuner of 20 plus year, the conversion,was made
Of necessity to conduct tuning exams. I long considered machine
Tuners have much to learn from aural discipline, but have learned that aural
Tuners can learn much from a machine as well. Analyzing unisons, stability,
Stretch looking at the numbers has tightened up things for me. As well;
Analyzing inharmonisity and stretch ,negotiating ears and numbers , has
Deepened my understanding of the problems we must negotiate.

  I noticed early that the pattern of deviation of master tunings
From a smooth curve generated by a machine follows the stringing scale.
The variations can be significant. With tunelab, am forever tweaking a
few spots in a piano, especially in the low tenor at the break.....and saving
 my adjusted concert hall tunings.  The  Generated curve is I admit a good home
tuning, but I know there is more,  and refuse to let aural checks go.

   Thus I have looked jealousy at verituners ability to listen to the harmonic spectrum
Of every note and adjust according to the entire real stringing scale for every note.
I finally purchased verituner for my iPad, and look forward to working with it.
It is my intention to do an aural master tuning on my Steinway A2, do a Tunelab curve,
And do a verituner set of numbers......graphing the three to compare the numbers.

     I must say at fist look, I have gotten use to, and appreciate the graphs on Tunelab
That shows deviations from pure at chosen partial levels throughout the piano. Seeing a
Curve that is very slightly rolls off of pure 6:3 as it drops through the bass speaks
A language I know and understand. Verituner expresses this in percentages and weighing,
And I'll have to learn what that means, and what my preferences look like in it's language.

Question:

Does verituner have a scoring program for the exam.
This iPad version appears not to. It has a measured tuning function,
But no comparison, deviation, and scoring program between two files.

Perhaps this early version for iPad will be upgraded to include a scoring program?
Do the other verituner platforms include a scoring program?

I'll report back with some comparison between the two.

                                                     Dave Renaud