[pianotech] unsubscribe

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Jan 1 22:02:00 MST 2012

Like you I'm definitely a fan of the old list but I think some are going a
bit overboard in their accusations.  For the time being at least they've
postponed the shutting down of the old list which is a good thing (as far as
I'm concerned) and indicates that there is some rethinking of the issue
going on. Hopefully a solution can be found but I would guess at this point
it's not so easy.  The list is only part of the web interface change and for
better or for worse a great deal of time (and money) has been spent in the
changeover.  It's complicated even further that now we have two lists
operating with some participating in each one but not in both.  The net
effect is that the dialogue has been diluted.  Let's hope that the concerns
of those who utilize the old format can be adequately addressed.  I think
those concerns have been communicated pretty clearly.  So unless we have
concrete suggestions to make (and, honestly, this stuff is out of my area of
expertise to be able to offer any real suggestions) then we have to rely on
others to address the concerns that we have if it's even possible at this
point.  I would guess that an increase in the dues in order to afford a paid
person to monitor the list in its current form which in the past has been
done with volunteers or at least inadequately compensated individuals might
be one possible solution.  If that were the case are we willing to up the
ante?  What would it have to be?  Is that necessary?  Admittedly, I don't
really have any answers.  But maybe addressing possible solutions rather
than ad hominem attacks would be more productive.  The fact that I'm still
writing these comments on the old list suggests that some ears are still
open.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com