[pianotech] Fwd: Piano information from GOODWAY PIANO

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Tue Jan 3 12:28:12 MST 2012

I agree. Much like the U.S. market from roughly the 1950s to the 1970s the
Chinese manufacturers are able to sell just about anything in their own
market. Many of them are treating the piano as a pure commodity item. It's
like selling toasters: you put it in a box and ship it. Backup? Support? Who
needs it? Fresh, state-of-the-art design? What a waste of time and effort;
just copy another manufacturer's product line and get started cranking them
out. To save even more time and money just hire an engineer from some other
company and ask him to bring copies of all the drawings with him.

Even companies like Pearl River are dispensing with their U.S.-based offices
and warehouses. Compared with the Asian market, the U.S. market is now quite
small--why invest much in it. If someone wants to buy a container or two of
pianos they'll be happy to pack them up and ship them. But don't expect
anything like warrantee backup support. I don't expect any of this to change
much until the Asian market starts to reach saturation. Then, just as we did
in the U.S., we'll see the demise of most of these types of manufacturers.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Fabrication
6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA
Phone  360.515.0119 — Cell  360.388.6525
del at fandrichpiano.comddfandrich at gmail.com