[pianotech] mailman list

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Tue Jan 3 21:48:30 MST 2012

Jim -
It is good to know that you continue to monitor this list and are
willing to respond.  There are a few points which leave me uneasy.

At 02:43 PM 1/3/2012, you wrote:
>Folks, there is nothing political about whether this List survives
>or not. It is Inevitable  that it will end as we know it.  Just like
>the wagon in the pioneer days, party lines, the dial telephone,
>analog television and cell phones the size of a brick, the
>world/technology continues to move on.

It would make sense, from a political (with a small 'p') point of
view at least, to have a clear explanation (re-explanation) as to the
reason for this Inevitability.  I have read numerous opinions that
suggest that this is not entirely the case, so, rather than have it
be a question of whether I accept what you say, simply because you
are the president, or because you bolded and italicized words,
realize that most of the subscribers would probably be willing to
adapt if a) the reasons were unassailable,  b) the new venue worked,
and c) the transition was adequately supported.

>It is clearly understood by this Board as well as last year's that
>the new website was launched too soon and without enough beta
>testing.  We have good people working on the problems and you will
>know well in advance when we are ready to reintroduce the improved site.

I have no doubt the people working on this are good.  We're all good
(except maybe for Duaine).   Unfortunately, the message of that
sentence, whether intended or not, is: "Step back, we're on it, we'll
work it out, stay out, etc.".  You (the Board) still seem disinclined
to open up the process.  You (the Board) seem to be hoping that the
noisy few will just fade away if only you don't engage them. I'm
pretty naive, especially for one sporting white hair and not so good
eyes.  That strategy might be effective, if that's what you were
looking to do, but I get the feeling that most of these noisy folks
would like to feel more a part of the process.

Meanwhile, I share David Love's view that, there is, at least at this
point, no inherent relationship between replacing the Board and
resolving our issues about the lists.  What's more, I continue to
believe that any such discussion belongs on PTG-L, not here.  AND
YET, as previously stated, the line  between this open list and PTG
becomes obscured when you write:

>In the meantime let's all work together for a better PTG.

It becomes hard to justify the sequestration of only certain
utterances pertaining to PTG, and not others.

Unfortunately, I don't share David's sanguinity with the current
process, as evidenced by what I said above.  In fact, he seems to
propose the exact opposite.
>if Jim says they are working on it then let them work on it.
>if those improvements can be delivered then great.  If not, then
>people will either suck it up or drop off.
>But there's only one way to find out, let those who are working on
>it continue to work on it until it's done

Who is working on it and why such opacity?
Suck it up or drop off?  I feel so much better knowing I have a choice.
There's only one way to find out?  No, I think there's more than one way.

Finally, a random thought (as opposed to what: you ask) :  It might
be politically (again, with a small 'p') effective to follow through
with an idea I posed to Kathy or Barbara:  Generate a written and
edited transcript of the Pianotech Live meeting that took place July 15, 2011

<http://my.ptg.org/resources/viewdocument/?DocumentKey=3bc48209-b939-4f51-b6fa-92853063115a>http://my.ptg.org/resources/viewdocument/?DocumentKey=3bc48209-b939-4f51-b6fa-92853063115a

Whether everyone would agree with what was said is unclear, but it's
probably a worthwhile starting point.

Cheers for New Year's -
David Skolnik RPT

And now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going across the hall to get some
of that brandy n' pudding that they're serving @ RonN's & ddf's &
David L's postings.  I'll prepare something nice next time.