[pianotech] The New Non-Associated Old List ...................

Jim Moy jim at moypiano.com
Tue Jan 3 22:54:01 MST 2012

Why go that far if what you want is an external, PTG dissociated mailing
list?

John Delacour set up pianotech at googlegroups.com months ago, which operates
almost identically to the old pianotech list as far as membership: just
send email to pianotech+subscribe at googlegroups.com to subscribe.

Anyone can join, and there is no moderation. Attachments "just
work." Discussions are automatically archived without anyone managing a
server. It has an optional web-interface that is modeled on Gmail. Etc.,
etc.

But the group is basically silent. (And I see, Duaine, that you are already
a member.)

I suspect this is because people don't want to "commit" until the PTG
direction is settled. So maybe the issue is not that there's no place for
pianotech at ptg.org refugees to go, it's that people don't *want* to leave
unless they're booted out.

So my guess is that further splintering will not be effective, we'll just
have to struggle through this transition.

Jim