[pianotech] mailman list

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Thu Jan 5 08:01:55 MST 2012

At 01:10 PM 1/4/2012, RonN wrote:
  Should we collectively want to change
>the background color, we likely would have a choice of a half dozen or so
>options, but real function is apparently inaccessible. If this is NOT
>the case, perhaps we could hear the truth from someone for a change
>instead of the same tired stall with this into the future with
>diminished function nonsense, and the implication that you're either
>with us (carte blanche), or against us (ignore).

At this point in time, there is a significant danger that this list
could become singularly focused on the issue of "the list", and
thus,  in striving to survive, lose it's very reason to do
so.  Ideally, we would have a separate (though inclusive) space to
engage in conversations of this nature, but at this point, the
simplest strategy, for those who can and chose to do so, is to create
a separate folder or mailbox.  But I digress.

I quoted RonN above because, to me, at the moment, the most insidious
aspect of this issue is the 'seeming' lack of engagement by the
admittedly few people in a position to respond.  I understand that
JIm C, Jim M, Paul B and Phil B aren't sitting home/office waiting to
reply to each and every complaint that is posted, but the, perhaps
unintended, message that gets conveyed is one of indifference, which
I know, in my heart, is not the case.  I will grant that Phil would
have to check himself in for an examination if he actually relished
the vitriol that has been periodically directed his way (warranted
though it might be), but, in the absence of any administrative input,
it takes very little time for things to fester.  It is, after all (as
we've been reminded) the 21st Century.  Reasonable or not, the
expectations for the speed of communication are not what they were,
even 10 or 20 years ago.  Or probably even 1 month ago.

In addition to 'good people' working on the problem, there ought to
be some evidence that there is at least one 'good person' whose
responsibility resides in keeping the sheep fat n' happy, or at least
not spooked.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY