[pianotech] Antique Tools - Martin Shephard, R.P.T.

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 5 21:59:22 MST 2012

All,
This, from the other List:
"1.From: Larry Lobel
Subject: Extraordinary collection of piano technicians tools
Message: Last night our chapter enjoyed an outstanding program given by
longtime member Martin Shepherd, RPT. He has been collecting piano
technicians tools for more than 30 years, which he's acquired from various
sources -- retiring technicians, a piano factory that closed, estate sales,
etc. Martin has a collection of hundreds of beautifully made vintage tools
dating back to as early as the 1790s! All are in excellent condition or
carefully restored by him, and he still uses the majority of them, matching
tools of a particular period to instruments from the same era. He's done
extensive research and become very knowledgeable about the history of the
companies that made these tools, how now-obsolete tools were used, the
development of particular genres of tools, and other fascinating and
esoteric information.
We were treated to an extraordinary display of dozens each of tuning
hammers, voicing tools, tuning forks, regulating tools, planes, and bowsaws
(do you know what they are? -- I didn't until last night). Martin described
in careful detail the development of many of the tools, and how
technological innovations (like the introduction of electricity, or the
continually increasing tension of piano strings) affected tool design. He
showed photocopies of pages from 19th century toolmakers' catalogs to help
illustrate and explain the progression of tool design. Each tool was passed
around the room so we got to see and handle them close-up.
I will upload several photos I took of the collection to this discussion's
library.
For those interested in the subject, Martin has a beautifully designed
website where many of the tools in his collection can be seen, along with
scholarly essays he's written distilling his deep knowledge of the subject:
http://www.mshepherdpiano.com/Martin_Shepherd_Piano_Service/Antique_Piano_To
ols.html"

Larry Lobel RPT
Petaluma, California

First, because I'm not able to join the "new list", but do "lurk", I ran
into this. I was totally blown away. Y'all have got to take the time to
peruse this site! Martin Shephard is really "into" the tools and should be
a Teacher of this subject at the national! I've spent most of the day, off
and on inbetween work, checking this out. Wow!
That's my take on that
Joe
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police (should be a private/corporal, after that!<G>)
Squares R I