[pianotech] Locked piano

Laura Olsen ajoyfulsound at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 06:13:24 MST 2012

Hi Marshall,

It's been my experience with institutional pianos that the harder you try to keep them out of the piano cavity, the more determined some people are to get in.  One client I had with 80 pianos (20 were grands) requested that I lock all the upright pianos.  I started finding busted locks, non-technician signatures and dates, candy wrappers and even a handful of spaghetti (no sauce) inside the uprights.  I've notice that the Everett uprights that require the allen wrench to open, frequently have those brackets damaged by people trying to pry them up.  I don't get it.  Is it a "forbidden fruit" thing or just curiosity?

Laura