[pianotech] Spinet Repetition Problems

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 6 07:59:48 MST 2012

Hi, Martin:
A good flashlight, long extension on your oiler, Protek.  You might be able to detach the sticker wire from the key and move it aside enough to get your oiler in there.  The problem is that Protek may not solve the sticking.  If there's moisture in the action,it will have to be dried, and no amount of Protek is going to help.  It might be better to try a 50-50 solution of water/alcohol to shrink the bearing felt.  If you have problems with the jack flanges, it's likely that other flanges are sluggish as well.  Often the wippen flanges are tight and don't fall into place, so the jack can't reset.  Even though it's troublesome, removing the action from a spinet makes the repairs a lot easier.
Good luck.
Paul McCloud
San Diego