[pianotech] Spinet Repetition Problems

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 21:54:16 MST 2012

Martin Cipolla asked: "Spinet piano where the jacks on several keys are not
returning quick enough to allow repetition. I suspect the jack pin needs
lubed. Any suggestions on lubing this part without removing the action. I
understand removing a spinet action can be troublesome."

Martin,
The major problem with Spinet regulation/repetition is the fact that most
need to have the keys back-weighted. The olde saw of "ya gotta have lost
motion in spinets", is really just bull. No matter how you regulate, etc.
the jacks will not get back in positon properly until the keys have been
weighted. I've done several, of late, and most players are suprised at how
nicely their piano plays after doing this procedure. It takes me about 3-4
hours to do the job. Well worth it, imo. (cheaper'n buying another "better"
piano.<G>
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I

Martin - What Joe says is probably likely where your problem is. I imagine
if Joe is taking 3 - 4 hours to do the job he's doing it right - drilling
and inserting proper round key leads. I've done several pianos using Jiffy
Leads as well - not the ideal approach from an aesthetic standpoint to be
sure, but one that will give results.

Another problem that can cause poor return of the jacks is weak or broken
jack springs. Lift up the hammer butt slightly, and push the toe of the
jack down with a small screwdriver. Release it and see if the jack snaps
into place. If you've tried putting Protek on the action centers, and the
jack still seems sluggish, I would be suspicious of the strength of the
springs.

Just a thought.  Chuck Behm