[pianotech] Spinet Repetition Problems

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sat Jan 7 06:16:48 MST 2012

If Jiffy Leads are fully functional, do not take away the aesthetic look of
the outside cabinet the customer sees, last just as long, AND SAVES THE
CUSTOMER MONEY, why would they not be considered "doing the job right?"

I'm sorry to sound snippy, but I grow weary of the mindset that it has to be
like the factory in order to qualify as doing it right. In my book, if it
works well and saves the customer money, that is doing it right, and that is
how I want other people to treat me.

Dean

Dean W May                        (812) 235-5272 voice and text

PianoRebuilders.com           (888) DEAN-MAY

Terre Haute IN 47802           Give us a LIKE on Facebook! Go to
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/PianoRebuilderscom/137780082943148>
PianoRebuilders.com

Martin - What Joe says is probably likely where your problem is. I imagine
if Joe is taking 3 - 4 hours to do the job he's doing it right - drilling
and inserting proper round key leads. I've done several pianos using Jiffy
Leads as well - not the ideal approach from an aesthetic standpoint to be
sure, but one that will give results.

Another problem that can cause poor return of the jacks is weak or broken
jack springs. Lift up the hammer butt slightly, and push the toe of the jack
down with a small screwdriver. Release it and see if the jack snaps into
place. If you've tried putting Protek on the action centers, and the jack
still seems sluggish, I would be suspicious of the strength of the springs.

Just a thought.  Chuck Behm