[pianotech] Providing Options - Was Spinet Repetition Problems

Al Guecia/Allied PianoCraft alliedpianocraft at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 7 10:23:36 MST 2012

Spot on Paul. The conversation you had with the customer and or the compromise which took place is not known by the next tech who sees the work. I've got boxes full of jiffy weights and hammer clips installed by other techs, which I have removed. It was easy to sell them an action rebuild or proper regulation which addressed the real problem. Of course I'm not talking spinets here. I would use jiffies on a spinet, if they are able to get me to work on one :-).

I keep cartons of good old parts, so I never need to use a new parts on old pianos doing a repair. I have even gone so far as to stain a new part to match the others when I didn't have an old part to match. I go by the same policy as your colleague,  I don't want anyone to see that a repair has been made. I'm not putting anyone down who is not nearly as weird as I am, It's just my personality and not necessarily what I think everyone should do. My practice has always been, do it right. If the customer wants a touch-up, I'll sure they can find someone who will do that.

David Porritt wrote

First we have to remember that the piano belongs to the customer (unless, of course, we are working on our own piano for resale).  There's a lot of pure arrogance that enters the picture in these situations.  I ONLY do PROPER work!  In the case of the key leads, one can show the customer each approach and let them decide.

It may be their piano, but it your reputation. I don't think it's arrogance, I think it's personality and the standards we we set for ourselves, not only in business but in life. The first page of my website says "Service without compromise" If that's not what a customer wants, there are many others willing to accommodate.

A second issue - tangentially related - is the whole concept of "preserving" old pianos that have little reason to be preserved.  I think over the years we have sometimes hurt the whole piano business (i.e. sales) by this heroic effort to restore the living-dead... but then I have a divergent view on lots of things.

Yes, I certainly agree with your second issue. If it's dead, bury it.

Just my 1.5 cents.

Al -
High Point, NC