[pianotech] Spinets - was repetition whatever

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 7 11:15:04 MST 2012

John Formsma said: "I have no problem with what Dean says. It's a chunk of
lead. In or on a
piece of wood.

But before adding lead of any kind, we should first make sure that is the
root problem (as others have already said).

If lead is needed in the keys, what I would do is give my customers a
choice. Either have the leads on the top of the keystick, or in the
keystick. Give a price for each method, with pros and cons, and let the
customer decide. I don't think the keystick cares either way. :-)

We all have our preferences. I'd prefer to get the lead in the key because
it definitely looks better. But then, I'd also prefer to do minimal work on
a spinet since they are low-end pianos to begin with. I'd rather have my
customers upgrade to a better piano. And paying to drill and install leads
is money that could be spent toward a better piano."

John,
You are such a dreamer.<G> First, you are assuming that the two
"modifications" give the same results. They do not!! (see my previou post
for specs.) Second, you can count on the majority of the spinet owners will
NEVER upgrade! That's a reality in my world. So,...with that in mind, if a
tech is able to make a spinet function the way it was ORIGINALLY designed,
for a whole lot less than it would cost to buy a "better piano", why not
put some real effort into doingit  intelligently, instead of flailing away
like Cyrano jousting at windmills???!!! We, as technicians, are
knowledgable about the workings  of pianos. Let's use all of that skill and
knowledge to improve each and every piano we come to. The only decision the
customer should have to make is should the job be done and how much are
they willing to pay for a specified outcome. We should not overburden
clients as to the specific workings of the piano unless they specifically
ask and want to learn it. Few clients want to get that "close" to that much
knowledge.<G>
That's my take on it.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.