[pianotech] Taking lead Out of keys - was spinet repetition problems

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 7 12:39:00 MST 2012

Dean said:
"Today, ironically enough, I find myself taking lead OUT of keys. I put a
new
High Definition PianoDisc on a mid 80s Young Chang this week and couldn't
get it to play as smoothly and quietly as I know the HD system can. Then I
remembered these puppies have very heavy hammers and LOTS of lead in the
keys. I was recording 60-75 grams downweight with only 12-16 grams upweight.
The heavy hammers were causing lots of friction on the rollers. I shaved the
hammers on the table saw and am now taking lead out of the keys. Ending up
with 55 g down and around 30 up. Much better. "

Dean,
Now, that's what I'm talkin' about! Using the olde noodle and scoping out
theKEY issue in the repetition picture! IMO, lead is a bane and every
effort should be made to keep it to a minimum in all pianos However, as
most of us know, there are very few properly executed actions.. Plenty of
good designs gone awry tho.<G> That's what keeps us in vacations!
Right?!!<G>
Best,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.