[pianotech] American vs Asian pianos, was Re: re; spinet repetitionproblems

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 7 12:23:19 MST 2012

Wim,
That has not been my experience. Every Asian POS that i've worked on has a built in "can of worms" set of problems.....fix one thing and it creates another. If I were new at this biz, I'd have to assume it was me, but I'm not. The "select hardwoods" used in most of the asian pianos is and has been suspect in my shop setup/mindset. It's just me, I suspect. But? Maybe not.. The proof will be in how long they last.
The American Spinet is still here after 80 or so years. I don't think the Asian counterparts will last that long. Then again, I could be wrong about that too.<G>
You are in the heart of the Asian market, so to speak. Also, you have a unique set of problems, unlike the "lower 48".or I suspect in Hawaii they say "the other 49".<G>
I will admit that the past 5-6 years of chinese pianos is a definate improvement over what came before. They are, finally, learning how to build pianos. But, it's my opinion that they aren't there yet. There are many spinets that NEVER were worth a darn, IMO. So,  back to the spinet issue: perhaps we should get on a big push to either FIX the good ones and Land Fill the rest, or just refuse to work on them altogether, forcing all spinet owners to Upgrade.<G>
Best,
Joe