[pianotech] more fun with lead key weights

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 7 14:07:21 MST 2012

Dean said: "I used Spurlocks jig for shaving the hammer tails. It was
really designed
for using without the shank glued on, so I had to be very careful. I took
about 1 g out of the hammers in bass, about half gram from treble"

Dean,
YIKES! That picture is too scary to contemplate. You need to use a
different system for that job! That, is an accident just looking for a
place to happen! ohmygawd! I can see the fingers and blood all over the
place.
Okay, I've calmed down a bit. The way I've done that is with a Fence
straddling/sliding jig with a mechanical lock/clamp that holds the hammer
against a firm platen via the shank. It is probably a lot slower than your
way, but a whole heckofalot SAFER! I'm still shaking my head and grimacing.
....phew! Glad you came through that w/o a hitch. Now you've got some good
bullet makin' stock. <G>
Best Regaards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.