[pianotech] removing ivories

David Stocker firtreepiano at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 7 14:42:09 MST 2012

Skipping past all of the discussion about why you would want to save an entire set (Oh, the horror!)

If you really want to spend the extraordinary time and effort of perfectly preserving an entire set, why not think about removing the wood, rather than removing the ivory?

Table saw/band saw, then a belt sander or sandpaper taped to a flat surface, then scrape off the last bits with a sharp knife.

If that is too much work to think about until someone needs them and is willing to PAY for the work, I might just cut off the front ends of the keys and put them in a box.

In real life, I just use a knife to remove them all. If they break, toss ‘em. If they don’t, they go into the box ‘o’ ivories. Needed three heads and a tail just this week.

David Stocker, RPT
Tumwater, WA