[pianotech] removing ivories

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 15:41:48 MST 2012

Hello Rob!

Try wetting them well and put a damp rag over them and let them sit for a
day or over night. If not loose, make sure the rags are wet and let them
sit for longer. Let time and moisture do the work. Once they fall off, I
throw them in a pot of boiling water - this will usually take off all the
residual hide glue. Use rubber gloves - they will help you handle the hot
ivory better. Scoop them out of the boiling water with a slotted spoon and
put them on clean towels to dry, flipping them over as they begin to curl
so that you can keep them relatively flat.

Ryan

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter