[pianotech] removing ivories

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 15:47:38 MST 2012

 >I'm wondering about methods to safely remove old ivories from junk
pianos.  I've got a junker that has ivories in reasonable condition and I'd
like to try and remove them for future re-use.  Every attempt I've made in
the past has resulted in them breaking into pieces.  I've heard of
techniques ranging from using a steam iron to soaking the keys, even
dampening them and placing them in a microwave.  Is there a proven
sure-fire way to remove them without breaking them?  Even if one breaks the
set will no longer match. Rob Goodale

Rob - what's always worked well for me is to take an old wash cloth, soak
it in a bowl of water and wring it out. Put the keystick in your vise and
cover with the cloth, then put an old iron at medium setting on top for
several seconds (experiment with times). Ivories will usually pry off with
a putty knife (don't use a chisel). Start at the front and work towards the
back of the head piece, rocking your putty knife back and forth. You'll
break a few this way, but will be able to save most.

Toss each ivory in a drawer intended for that particular note  to make
selection easier down the road. I like to clean them with 0000 steel wool
after they dry,  then buff them on a cloth wheel with ivory polish. Scrape
any residue off on the backs with a sharp chisel. Chuck