[pianotech] string scale

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jan 8 07:29:06 MST 2012

On 1/7/2012 5:03 PM, Joseph Garrett wrote:
> Dean,
>-- I know that it is their intent to make it
> a whole lot more of a piano than what it was originally.

Yes, it is. I don't black the plate lettering, nor put a soundboard
decal on the pianos I redesign, because neither the plate nor the
soundboard are as they were originally built.

>The one given,
> that is difficult to alter, is the plate. It is the one parameter that we
> have to deal with.

Once you've ground off the front duplexes, moved the agraffes back to
retain the strike ratio through the transition bridge, changed wrapped
trichords to bichords, and installed vertical hitches, the plate gets
some fairly extensive modification too. But yea, it does present
limitations.

> Just Evaluating a Scale and making minor corrections that are dictated by
> anomolies of the bridges, etc. is merely Scale Improvement to me.
> What would you call it?<G>l

I call it rescaling. I also call what I do when I'm turning tuning pins
for someone "tuning", though I make no claims that it's the best
possible, or even a complete tuning. It definitely is a tuning
improvement though...
Ron N