[pianotech] string scale

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jan 8 10:14:44 MST 2012

On 1/8/2012 10:17 AM, Joseph Garrett wrote:

>> Once you've ground off the front duplexes, moved the agraffes back to
>> retain the strike ratio through the transition bridge, changed wrapped
>> trichords to bichords, and installed vertical hitches, the plate gets
>> some fairly extensive modification too. But yea, it does present
>> limitations.
>
> Since I have never done any of  those items, I'll take your word that it's
> all possible.<G>

Quite possible and I think, quite worthwhile. Along with a good
soundboard and bridge set design, string scale, and needed rim and belly
rail bracing, the plate modifications remove even more of the patented
and much copied warts from the old toads. In my opinion, there are a lot
of fairly tragic percussion instruments out there that can be turned
into what sound remarkably like pianos by doing this stuff.

>> I call it rescaling. I also call what I do when I'm turning tuning pins
>> for someone "tuning", though I make no claims that it's the best
>> possible, or even a complete tuning. It definitely is a tuning
>> improvement though...
>
> Well, I guess. sigh....<G>

No guessing now, you're a professional! <G>
Ron N