[pianotech] Tuning my first Overdamper piano - something else<G>

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 8 12:56:11 MST 2012

Richard,
I agree wholeheartedly! Because there were none to be found, when I was new at this business, I made a business decision to work on them. I quickly found easy (ier) ways to accomplish a reasonable tuning. Because it takes longer to do one, I do charge a bit more than regular tuning, just as I do for players and square grands. As you've said most can be a sorry excuse for a real piano. The true beauty of them, usually, is the fine cabinet aesthetics that the craftsman of the day accomplished.<G> Then add accoutrements like fancy/smancy candelabras and voila' you have a work of "art"?<G> (BUT, not a piano) Of those that were well made, such as Collard & Collard, Brinsmead and many of he German pianos, taking a bit more care and time can have good results with a piano that has a unique sound suited for the music for the masses in the 1800's. <G> Especially if you use a Victorian Temperament. That seems to lendto the overall timbre of these instruments. After all, these Over Damper Instruments were manufactured in factories that were also making regular uprights and grands as far as I've been able to ascertain. I liken these instruments to our modern day Ghetto Blasters = maniacal music for the masses, not to mention complete affront to the ears!<G>
That's my take on it,
Joe