[pianotech] Grand Piano Tilter

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Jan 9 15:21:12 MST 2012

It's (the weight) spread out and the lyre is out of the picture.  I can't
stand seeing movers use the lyre as a fulcrum.  I once saw a brand new
Bluthner concert grand set up this way and almost made me sick. The lyre
stress should never be subjected to sideways stuffs, but there is no harm
to the keybed or undercarriage of the piano to worry about. The mechanism
is behind the keybed, or close enough to the back to be out of harms way.

This does not stress the piano anywhere near what you refer to. I say "go
for it"! There is no flaw.
Since I have a great Moving Services dept at our University, I don't need
to buy one.  They just move them the old fashioned way with huge men and
all I have to do is knock the legs out of their place.

Now figure a safe way to move an 8' harpsichord into a 7' elevator, and
I'll be interested! We move them all too often and have to tilt them to a
45 degree angle.  Then, they're all messed up when I get them to the
concert hall and have to spend an hour getting them to play just right.

Best,

Paul