[pianotech] broken bass sting

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 9 15:22:35 MST 2012

Al said: "Found this string broken on a Mason Hamlin grand (new customer).
It's a tri-cord, so I would rather repair it, than replace all three, to
save the customer money (piano really needs a rebuild).

This is the first time I've seen a break like this. Any suggestions on how
to fix it and keep the proper length?"

Al,
If it's the only way, then I'd make a german loop on a piece of matching
wire. Cut off the broken English Loop and tie the two together. It'd be
tricky, but it's doable. I've seen the repair on several pianers, done by
an oldtimer type. (much older'n me<G>) Lotsa luck.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I