[pianotech] Broken bass string

johnparham at piano88.com johnparham at piano88.com
Mon Jan 9 19:58:11 MST 2012

Al,

I had a similar experience with a Yamaha G1: bass string broke at the
tuning pin so I spliced it back. The SAME string broke between the hitch
pin and the rear bridge pin.

I spliced a new wire onto the old, leaving plenty of new wire to
hand-make a new loop. It wasn't quite as pretty as I wanted it to be,
but it worked. Next time I'll be more careful about doing neater work.

There is one caveat. The new wire stretched and the knot tightened up
quite a bit when I pulled it up to pitch, and the copper windings almost
touched the agraffe. I almost didn't have enough room to pull it up to
pitch. Make sure to uncoil a bit more wire from the tuning pin than what
you think you need to make sure the bass string doesn't end up creeping
into the agraffe.

Let us know how it works, and don't forget your camera!

-John Parham