[pianotech] broken bass sting

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jan 10 06:07:07 MST 2012

On 1/10/2012 6:32 AM, Al Guecia/Allied PianoCraft wrote:
> Thanks everyone. I'll give it one try. If it doesn't work, I'll take Joe
> G's suggestion and just leave 2 strings and change the damper.
>
> Ron, it broke at the hitch pin loop.

Ah, thanks Al. In that case, I'd splice on a length of wire, making the
tiniest and tightest knot I could with the Vise-Grip technique, then
bending a German loop in the end, indexing the wrap at the speaking
length hitch to locate the bend and relying on the knot and loop
tightening under applied tension to determine where the wrap ends up.
I'd rather err toward the bridge pin than the agraffe.

Or you can do it "right" and replace all three strings, which will then
sound different from everything around them and hold you hostage for
touch up trips for the next year until they eventually stabilize.
Ron N