[pianotech] tuning stability or the piano

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 10 14:37:43 MST 2012

Hi everyone,
I tune pianos for two school districts, and the one is a new one I acquired this past fall.  I tuned a Henry F Miller grand an oldie for their middle school back in December.  I received a call that the piano sounded out of tune or the tuning was off. The secretary of course couldn't go into detail because this information was second hand.  I didn't speak with the music teacher directly who brought this to her attention.

So here's my dilema.  I can go back and check it out and retune it if in fact it needs it, but the secretary informed me that they wouldn't pay for an additional tuning.  So I either have to save my reputation and do it for nothing if in fact it needs a tuning, or tell them no I won't tune it for free. So has this hapened to anyone, a piano's tuning drifting in such a short time?  Is it me or this old piano?  How does one truly know who's at fault, and how do you convince a school that it's the piano and not me. I told the secretary that this is something unusual, and that I typically get compliments on how long my tunings stay.  I have this overwhelming need to save my hide/reputation, and I feel worried that my career is being hurt.  How do you guys handle this flood of emotional uncertainity when y our skills are being challenged?  I know I was trained well.  I know I pour a lot into every piano I tune.  How can I be assured that it's the piano in this case?  Thanks
Marshall

Marshall Gisondi Piano Technician
Marshall's Piano Service
pianotune05 at hotmail.com