[pianotech] tuning stability or the piano

Patrick C. Poulson pcpoulson at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 10 15:23:05 MST 2012

Marshall: If the piano is not kept in a room with a stable temperature and humidity level, it will go out of tune. Many schools turn off the heat in the schoolrooms during school vacation times, such as over the Christmas to New Year's break. The extreme change of temperature and/or humidity is most likely the cause for the piano going out of tune. I would call back and ask them if the piano room was left unheated in this way. If so, they would have invalidated any guarantee that I would give for a tuning. I would then explain the need to keep the piano from being subjected to severe climate changes in the future if they want to avoid paying for another tuning every time they turn off the heat.
Good luck!
Patrick C. Poulson
Registered Piano Technician
530-265-1983