[pianotech] tuning stability or the piano

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Jan 10 15:48:46 MST 2012

Lesson learned.  when approaching a newly aquired piano, you HAVE TO tell
them before even looking at it that it may need more than one tuning.  I
learned the hard way too.  Tuning  an old thing is a hard thing to deal
with to begin with.  You never know what you are getting into.

I now approach this kind of thing giving them all the variables that come
with a newly aquired instrument.  You never know what you're going to get!
They don't either!! All they see is a free piano, or one for very little
monies.

It probably drifted out of tune no matter how well you tuned it. Sounds
like a negleted instrument somebody gave to the school thinking it was
nice and got a tax write-off.  Chruches get these all the time! UGH!

Get them to admit they didn't know what they got, or buckle your
bootstraps, tune it again for free to keep the account, and let them know
what they have and it will need further servicing.  Who knows how long it
was since last tuned? How often? Climate differences? Who played in the
past? who plays now?  Too many variables to just go in and tune it once
and call it good. The condition of the piano also plays in. Is it toast?
needing lots of work? How did the move affect it? Climate changes?  etc.
etc.  Visiting the piano and carefully looking at it before even tuning it
the first time might have been the best route.  Only you can determine
this part. Get ALL information possible before even looking at it. That
will save you a lot of time and miles spent driving, etc....

And old Japanese saying I learned from my best man at my wedding:  Cover
your ass before you cover your face! (safe for me...we've been married 18
years and still going strong!!)

Good luck my friend!
Paul