[pianotech] Grand Piano Lid Buttons

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 16 10:48:21 MST 2012

Bill,
It's a pretty simple process. Drill a 9/16" Forestner hole in block of wood. Punch a 3/4" or 7/8" piece of leather, )preferrably Buckskin or Doesskin. Center the leather over the hole in the wood block. Place a thick balance rail punching w/a drop of Aileen's Tacky Glue in the center of the leather punching. Place a piece of waxed paper over that.Then, put a block of wood over that. Rigidly clamp the whole thing together and let set for an hour. Remove from clamp and retrieve the punching. Trim to fit and voila' you have a round, cushioned punching. You can do the same proceedure for making the back pedal rests that you find in the Steinway Pedal Lyre Box, only use fiber board backing. I get my leather from Oregon Leather, Portland Oregon. I'm sure there are similar stores near you. Most have a plethora of different leathers available. Check out the "Scrap Barrels"!!!
Hope that helps.
Joe