[pianotech] Round bottom Steinways and other

Larry Fisher RPT larryf at pacifier.com
Mon Jan 16 09:16:00 MST 2012

Yeah, Greg, as a young lad I strained my back muscles lifting soda cases over my head and throwing them through a hole not much bigger than a box of liquor, while standing on a rickety platform.  I was told at the age of 15 that I was going to be an old man for the rest of my life.  I’ve learned to cope with a back that has muscular issues from time to time.  Then I started moving pianos up stairways by wrapping the strap around my waist using my leg muscles to pull it up while others pushed from below.  After the cartilage in my knees started squirting out of place while weeding in the garden I thought maybe it might be a good idea to rethink my approach on moving heavy stuff.  I obviously have more ambition to do so than my body is capable of.  Knee replacement surgery is definitely on the horizon for me but in the meantime I’m playing with Glucosamine and less hard work.  So far I’ve managed to put things off for the foreseeable future.  Knee surgery runs in the family.

There’s a certain amount of gratification that comes with moving a piano with out damage  .........  to body, piano or household.  I doubt if I can give that up for a while longer.  I got the same gratification helping my friend take a maple tree down with out damage to fence, body, suspended wires, or vehicles.

Oh yeah, Steinways with round bottoms, I just happen to remember I moved a console Steinway that had the same “round bottom” and I used a hymnal to even out the contact with the dolly.  I have a small piece of wood in the trailer that I save for such moves  .......  and yes I do recall there was a beveled edge under there.  Sadistic design engineers  ..........  I like that one.

Lar