[pianotech] Upright Key Weighting

David Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Thu Jan 19 05:23:44 MST 2012

<snip>
>The mass of the hammers comes into play much more at fortissimo, where the
>perceived force is increased, since F = ma. The faster acceleration of the
>key/hammer system is felt in the fingers of the player. If you have
>low-mass hammers, you feel like you are falling into the piano.

John, I agree that hammer mass could be an issue.  Quite often
uprights have extremely light hammers eventhough string scaling and
soundboard size can be quite like grands.  Adding shank clips could
help a lot in producing a grander feel.

<snip> when you look at the 1:5 mechanical
>disadvantage with 3/8" key dip and a 1-7/8" hammer travel. A 9-gram hammer
>will feel like 45. The hammer mass gives you a dynamic downweight feel.

This formula for mechanical ratio is also mentioned in Braid White
and it doesn't account for aftertouch distance in which key movement
doesn't move the hammer.

David Stanwood