[pianotech] Buffing Ivory

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 20 21:46:06 MST 2012

Paul asked: "An older Baldwin concert grand that I tuned recently has
really grimy ivories.? I was thinking of polishing them with bar polish
(Schaff No. 425) and a buffing wheel on my bench grinder, however I have
heard that using a grinder with RPMs that are too high can burn the ivory.?
What speed is safe, and what is the best buffing wheel to use?
Thanks,"

Paul,
1725 RPM w/6" to 8" wheels. Use two buffing wheels. One, that "cuts" (the
grime/scratches). And the other that has a "polishing" compound, to give it
luster. There is lots of information regarding buffers in the Jewelry
Supply Literature.
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.