[pianotech] Tuner's record

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sat Jan 21 12:53:05 MST 2012

I tuned a Victorian birdcage piano today, which I had done about six
months ago.  I had not last time paid attention to the remains of a
label stuck to the overdamper rail, but this time looked closely.  I'm
attaching a photo. The date you can see most clearly is 16/1/99.  Gentle
readers, this is not 1999, but 1899.  One hundred thirteen years and
four days ago today, when this piano was perhaps ten years old, a tuner
got his fountain pen out (was he well-off, to have had a fountain pen?)
and recorded his work.

This piano has gorgeous veneer inside the top lid. I have posted several
pics on my business Facebook page David Boyce Piano Services and on my
Tumblr blog, http://pianopinions.tumblr.com

Best regards,

David.
www.davidboyce.co.uk