[pianotech] broken agraffes

Wally Scherer afinetune at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 23 09:40:21 MST 2012

I've only had to replace 2 agraffes in my 30+ years of piano work. One was on a Baldwin about 3 years ago (first time customer), the other on a Steinway B just 3 weeks ago (regular customer). The Steinway one had a point sticking UP, so it took a long time to get the point ground down enough to get a drill started. I used a reverse thread drill bit, but it didn't budge it. I had to go to the hardware store and buy a LARGER easy out tool. It finally came out.

It seems that Steinways are notable for this problem. (WHY?)

Wally

A FINE TUNE - Piano Tuning & Repairs
Wallace T. Scherer, piano technician, music educator
Serving professional and amateur musicians since 1979
5020 Canal Drive, Lake Worth, Florida, 33463-8014
Telephone: 561-432-4121
Web page: http://aftune.angelfire.com