[pianotech] Safe-T-Planer

John Ross jrpiano at eastlink.ca
Tue Jan 24 08:55:51 MST 2012

I use a router jig.
The key is secured in a vise attached to a frame, with two sides.
These are the two sides that the router slides on, suspending the router above the key.
I just adjust the depth of the router bit to remove the required amount so that the key with the new top is the same height as the key with the ivory.
That way the relationship of white key to black is retained.
If you want you can just remove a smidgeon, so that the keys are uniform.
I am not satisfied with the present key securing system of the vise. I would like to incorporate either toggle clamps or cam clamps, for quicker key changing.
The keys are square and uniform.
I never got the smoothness from the safety planer.
For years I used my radial arm saw with a sanding drum in it. I had a base that raised the key enough so that i could get the fine adjust with the saw's up/down adjustment.
With this method, I found it wasn't as uniform as I wanted. It depended too much on feed rate.
John Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia