[pianotech] Safe-T-Planer

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Jan 24 09:12:03 MST 2012

I've had to remove ivory that was glued down with CA glue and other
substances when replacing with plastic and Joe is right that it's easy to
damage the wood underneath.  However, since the tops of the keys will be
planed down some to accommodate the added thickness of plastic, you can sand
off the old ivory carefully on a belt sander until you just remove it.  Then
when you plane the key tops down (I use a router jib set up for this) then
the planing of the keytop will remove any unevenness that results from the
use of the belt sander.  You usually have an adequate margin of error.

So the procedure would be to first remove the old ivory by the traditional
steaming method or similar process.  Whatever doesn't come off that has been
glued down with something impenetrable you use a belt sander and carefully
take it down to the wood where the router jig set up will clean it up.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com