[pianotech] epoxy filler

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 19:03:40 MST 2012

Here is a correction. Talc is the primary ingredient in most body
fillers for fairing purposes.
The West System 405 is cellulose powder (sawdust-very fine), pecan
shell powder (very hard cellulose type  material) and silica (sand).
That is from the  MSDS data sheet.

 It is also interesting that a very good adhesive for veneer (and
possibly belly work, as well), is Better Bond which does not creep as
most other PVA adhesives.  For that matter most all adhesives other
than hide glue have potential for creep. It's secret ingredient is
ground pecan shells. Pecan shells must work more or less as sharp
aggregate ( limestone)  in concrete to stabilize and strengthen the
product.  It is only slightly more expensive than titebond and worth
using routinely where a PVA adhesive is needed and creep can be an
issue. . My routine favorite PVA adhesive is Weldbond that beats
titebond for strength and has some flexibility. I use it for almost
everything except veneer work. Not for veneer work because of possible
creep over time. It can be softened with acetone, making it
reversible.  Reversibility is a very important feature for anything
that you ever want to take apart in the future. That is also true of
hide glue and is probably the main reason hide glue is still around.

Douglas Gregg
Classic Piano Doc
Southold, NY