[pianotech] The Right Tool for the job! - was Renner gobbledegook...whatever

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 26 10:16:31 MST 2012

This question was posted on the "new list". Since I only "skulk" and don't
post there, hopefully someone, (Maybe Jim I.), will forward this to
whoever.<G>
Here tis'

"3.From: Jim Ialeggio
Subject: German factory explanation in gubashali english
Message: OKay language fans, here's a puzzler for you.

I'm regulating (or rather attempting to regulate) an August Foerester
Grand, 190 Circa 2002. Current production Renner action/stack.

Action and touch are quite nice, so geometry is working fine.

The letoff dowels are screwed up, way high at the top of their travel, very
close to actually contacting the bottom of the hammer rail. I can get
letoff nice and close without being limited by the dowels hitting the
hammer rail bottom.

Problem: With the letoff dowels in this position, it is physically
impossible to adjust the jack screws...absolutely no clearance to reach
around the dowel, and no clearance to get the tool between the dowels and
back into the vicinity of the jack screw without bending the letoff
dowels/screws out of the way. No can do.

The best option to me seems to be to remove the dowels and shorten the top
of the dowel by 3/16-1/4", as the jack screw, at rest, is lying just below
the bottom of the hammer rail. This assumes shortening the dowel, which is
at the top of the screw travel, will still leave me with sufficient screw
treads in the dowel...I think it will.

The puzzler...Here is what the techs at Foerester said(Germany, I think in
what used to be East Germany), when I asked them what they had in mind:

"if you want adjust the jack adjustment screw you must put away the letoff
dowel real."

Hey Jurgen...you out there.

I think they want me to lower the letoff dowel way out of the way, adjust
the jack screw, and then raise the dowel after the jack is adjusted. This,
to my way of regulating, which checks each adjustment, especially the jack
and rep height adjustments, multiple times during the regulation, besides
being ridiculously inefficient, will limit what I can give the pianist...an
excellent client, who is a fine pianist.

What's your take on that gubashali instruction?"

Jim Ialeggio,
There are two ways to address the jack adjustment issue. One: make a tool
out of a 1/16" drill rod w/an 1/8" steel head welded to the rod end. Cut a
slot into the end of the  1/8" head. Then silver solder "sweat solder" a
brass sleeve over that head  Put a handle on it w/ a "flat" that is
parallell to the slot, (for reference).
Or....Two: remake the let-off button rail to allow more range of
adjustment. (Hint: if you turn the action upside down, you'll see that the
let-off rail is attached to the hammer rail with screws!!!!<G>) Of course,
you'll probably have to "slightly" modifiy the hammer rail as well,
but....whatever it takes to overcome crappy engineering. Right?!! Right!!
Best Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police