[pianotech] Slipping Becket

Albert Picknell pnrfqsnrk at yahoo.ca
Fri Jan 27 15:11:32 MST 2012

Hello David

Are these Diamond brand tuning pins?  We did a thread about this (which I started) a couple of years ago which was subsequently reproduced in the May 2010 Journal.  I've never had a becket slip with any other brand of tuning pin, and I'm convinced that the slippage had to do with the rounding at the opening of the becket holes.  The attached photo may make it clearer: the pins are, from left to right, Denro, Diamond, and Yamaha.

BTW, I'm not knocking Diamond brand tuning pins; I use them and quite like them.  But that slight rounding at the opening of the becket holes just means one has to be a little more careful to get a good sharp bend in the wire, and not put tension on a string with the becket protruding, which can put a slight bend in the becket, making it even more likely to slip.  Unfortunately, when a becket does slip out of the hole the rounding at the opening of the hole is made worse.

In a situation like the one you describe, I'd be inclined to go with Ron's suggestion.

My take,
Bert