[pianotech] Sagging keybeds

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sun Jan 29 12:23:41 MST 2012

At a school earlier this month the head of music asked if I could fix
the sagging keybed of one of their 1970s Marshall & Rose uprights (quite
nice school pianos of that era).  The bass end was hanging down at least
half an inch.  I managed to fix it, by propping the middle of the keybed
on a chair such that the front of the piano was lifted off the ground
and the keybed forced back up to where it should be, letting me glue and
screw it into place.

At another school last week the same thing was beginning to happen to a
similar piano. This time both ends, but only about a quarter inch.
Similar repair, this time using an old car jack. Three inch screws in
through the ends of the key cheeks which are pretty solid. (The key
cheek blocks were removed and the glue worked in before lifting the
keybed up).  Not elegant, though the pianos are pretty beat-up anyway.
But next time I attend, if I am satisfied that everything has remained
solid, I will cover the screw heads with a suitable filler.

Best regards,

David.
www.davidboyce.co.uk