[pianotech] custom skid for small uprights

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 09:40:32 MST 2012

Another moving tip.

I got tired of having to remove the wheels to get small  uprights to
sit on a skid for moving. I do use a skid almost all the time to avoid
damaging the veneer on the bottom of the ends when tipping it up. The
skid also keeps those pesky non-removable (Baldwin mostly) legs well
off the ground too.

I made this skid from two layers of 3/4 plywood glued and screwed
together. The lip is a 2x4 with large 5/16 x 4 wood screws salvaged
from a dead piano plate to make it strong. It is covered with thin
carpet. I use screw eyes on the side of the skid to hook my binder
straps into. I use the 2 inch ratchet binder straps with hooks on the
ends.  The important point is the two cut-outs made for the rear
wheels of consoles and spinets. I measured a number of pianos for
their wheel base lengths and made long cut-outs to accommodate the
rear wheels of any piano. It works like a charm.  I put the skid
between the legs and the bottom board and lift and slide the piano
onto the skid one end at a time. The rear wheels drop into the slot
nicely and it sits flat on its bottom board. NO more struggling to pry
out wheels that are rusted.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc
Southold, NY