[pianotech] blackening rusty tunning pins

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 09:55:00 MST 2012

Here is a tip that I submitted to TT&T but has not yet made it in. I
thought I would share it here as there are many shop guys on this
list.

Living on the tip of Long Island within a mile of salt water in nearly
every direction, I see a lot of rust. Rusty tuning pins look ugly and
polishing them is very time consuming with the rubber thingys.
Besides, they will just rust again. Here is a solution. Don't touch
the rust. Spray it with Klean-Strip or Permatex brand rust restorer.
It goes on clear and will not discolor the plate. It only turns rust
to a semi-matt black. It prevents further rust and looks very
presentable. It is not quite bluing but...

Caution, don't use other brands as they contain some black pigment
that will discolor the plate. These go on  clear.
The pins have to be free major dirt and any oil or wax,  but that is all.

The photo shows the before and after, side by side on this old Cable upright.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc
Southold, NY