[pianotech] Case repair question

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 6 17:42:51 MDT 2012

David,
Er...yer welcome.;-(
I've read further into your posts regarding this. So, it appears that it is
NOT Black, which was my initial take on the photo. To that I say: OOPS!
Sorry, on that account.
Now that I know more of the facts about this "repair", you have said that
your original intent was to find out others ways that could apply. I
applaud that. However, as is a lot of posts, on this list, we seldom get
ALL the pertinent data on the initial query. This causes all kinds of
problems, as you well know. One factoid that has not been brought forward,
is why the initial need to get busy with a chisel? Although it is a moot
point at this juncture, I'm curious why. <G>
Now, more to the point...How would I have fixed that? First, I would have
been more meticulous/exacting in the removal of the wood. I would have cut
a piece of plywood, w/the appropriate veneer attatched, to a reasonable
fit. I, then, would have installed that piece with epoxy mixed with
sawdust/wood powder, a medium thickness. In that process, I would have
masked off, so that the stuff would not sag, etc. (better yet, put the
piano on a skid and then do the repair). I would make sure that it was all
a smidgeon "proud". I would have leveled/beveled the patch with my favorite
tool: a power hacksaw scraper. After it was all smooth, I would have sealed
the patch and sanded to the sealed pore appearance of the surrounding area.
If necessary, I would have used stain in the sealer, to match the
surrounding area, as well. After all of that, I would have reinstalled the
Music Desk Glide and blended that into the area. Then a few final coats of
the appropriate finish. Rub it out and voila' a repair worthy of the Piano
In Question. BTW, that is the way MY Refinisher would have done it, as
well. I've had "refinishers" that used bondon and such. That  sort of
thing, usually comes back to bite one in the butt, imo! Of course, there
are refinishers and then there are REFINISHERS.<G> (Mine is a 3rd
generation shop that has specialized in top notch PIANO work. They do all
sorts of furniture as well.<G> They do have a full service Wood Shop, which
is needed when you are working with wood, imo. I hope that helps,
Regards,
Joe

Behalf