[pianotech] S&S K(52) Restoration

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Fri Jun 8 10:11:12 MDT 2012

Back again.

Trying to get some ideas about the bass scale and what I may want to modify.

The photos show that the bass bridge was not notched and the result is that
the left string of all bi-chords is 3mm longer than the right. Notching
appears that it will take care of that one but I believe that a notch that
is 90 degrees perpendicular to the string plane is not good enough to create
equal string lengths - another puzzle to solve.

For this and other reasons I do not like the front bridge pin style
terminations.

Looking at the plate in the area of the front terminations it looks thick
enough that if one could drill and countersink with some accuracy - probably
do some grinding as well - agraffes could be installed.

Has anyone ever tried such a thing? Are these front terminations bridge pins
that are driven into the plate? How solid are they in there, anyone ever try
to take them out?

It seems to me that between agraffes and a notched bridge, me and the string
maker would be happier.

Gene