[pianotech] Hammer butt split at felt pad

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri Jun 8 12:17:05 MDT 2012

Joe and Dean, thanks for those responses.

Joe, we do have the Titebond range in the UK, yes, though you might not
find it in every hardware store. I had Titebond Moulding & Trim Wood
Glue with me (not Titebond III) and a tube of UHU PVA wood glue, and I
did think about using one of those. (I bought the Titebond, funnily
enough, on a visit to California. PVA in CA, haha!).

But lately I've had some success with CA on small action parts without
the need for clamping (or only very brief clamping), plus, I did like
the idea that if the wood was "drinking" the CA, there would be some
added strength.

I did take care that there was no wicking of the CA into places it
shouldn't go.  Dean, I do like the bulb syringe idea a lot, and I must
get some.  Happily the bottle I was using has quite a fine nozzle.  But
the bulb syringe would be better.

Best wishes,

David.
www.davidboyce.co.uk