[pianotech] Steinway Model "O"

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 11 10:41:58 MDT 2012

All,
I have a client with a S&S Model "O". (early version of the current Model
"L"). The piano was his Mother's piano. When it first arrived, I assessed
it's condition and told the client that the piano was "shot". The
soundboard had many screws through to ribs to curtail buzzes. Lots of
cracks in the board. The Killer Octave had reduced sustain. Basic S.B.
shape was a "W"! Y'all know the symptoms, (or at least your should<G>). The
basic design of the Bass bridge was wrong, (no pairs of bi-chord strings
were equal, causing difficulty in unison tuning). And, there were hair-line
cracks at the bridge pins. Bass tone/projection was adequate. Several loose
tuning pins were noted with the initial tuning process. Tonal condition of
the strings is good.
The action was really toast! All original and 90 years old!l Plus, major
Vertigris problems. The dampers were still working, so not in the mix of
"problems". <G> Original finish?, ......Alligatored..Major! The client
doesn't care about the "finish".<G>
I have since CA'd the loose tuning pins. The bass bridge I can live with.
The piano is in a small, acoustically "live", living room, so lack of
power, is not an issue. The lack of sustain in the killer octave does not
bother the owner, since the piano is used mainly in string quartet chamber
music sort of thangs. Also, the action has been completely rebuilt, w/new
N.Y. Parts and Wurzen Hammers. At this point the piano is extremely stable,
especially in the killer octave. It sounds great in this environment, imo
and the owners.<G>
This leads me to a question: Because the soundboard is "shot", I suspect
that the tuning stability is due to the fact that the soundboard is not as
reactive to climatic changes, as would a new "lively" board. Any one care
to comment?<G>
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police