[pianotech] Metro Vac 'n Blo

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Wed Jun 13 19:49:14 MDT 2012

I've been trying to convince a fellow piano tech, who will be replacing his
burnt-out Mighty-Mite vacuum, of the virtues of the Metro Vac 'n Blo that
several of us own. It all got me to thinking about some of the minor
irritations I've had with mine. My primary gripe has been that it's round
and it rolls over, sometimes making it annoying to find the on/off switch.
I've also always been a bit nervous about it rolling into a grand leg and
marring it.  I decided to see what I could throw together in my apartment
with supplies I had on hand.

I first sawed (in a miter box with a dull back saw) a piece of 1x8 pine to
13-1/2", and a couple pieces of 5/8" dowel to 10-1/2". Glued and stapled
(air gun stapler) the dowels to a width just enough to lift the outermost
diameter off the 1x8. Why? So I can change bags easily, or just remove the
intake end if I need more force on the output ("Blo") end.

Pilot drilled for some simple cup hooks, dribbled the holes with CA, and
hooked my tarp bungee cords (10 or 12 for a couple $$ at your locally-owned
Ace Hardware).

Then I put some no-slip, self-adhesive protecto feet on the bottom and I'm
done.

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN