[pianotech] Treble agraffes and capo bar hardness

jim at grandpianosolutions.com jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Fri Jun 15 07:36:02 MDT 2012

Recently there was some chat (which I can't locate) regarding hardness
of capo bar terminations and shape of the bar.

As I remember, most of the chat was discussing the need for a hard(ened)
bar accompanied by a not too aggressively shaped radius. As well as the
value of the mass of the casting those bars are attached to was called
out as useful.

Then I look at a brass agraffe treble...regular agraffes through the
first treble section and upside down brass agraffes through  the high
treble...brass thoughout, as in soft as a baby's tush. Termination radii
by definition abrupt (because the agraffe head is not that wide), but
not a sharp "V".  Presumably, the wire self-machines a slightly wider
radius.

In trying to figure what I think about this capo bar hardness question,
the first thing I try to do is ferret out unspoken assumptions which of
course color the opinions.

For example, Ron Over's hard treble bar,accomanied by (from what I can
gather) a high tension scale, quite stiff belly structure, not sure of
hammer weight...targeting large venue projection?(not sure but from the
Lilacs recording quite lovely)... Ed McMorrow's sharp shaping ( I think
"V" with a 1mm bearing flat) in S&S plates, original non-hardened S&S
casting, presumably reasonably soft, looking for self-machining by the
wire,  accompanied by extremely light hammers, original S&S compression
board, and vastly improved trebles (despite S&S customary treble
weakness) into the high treble as well...Chickering's sweetness with the
above mentioned soft brass agraffe setup.

So my question:  to what degree is the Capo termination hardness and
shape targeting a specific tonal result, as opposed to adhering to
geometrical necessity or limititations of allowable string abuse at the
termination?

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio